13-Point System to Create a Culture of Connection
by Karen Celeste Hilfman
From The Mended Mirror
PAIN POINTS AUTHENTIC CONNECTION CULTURE CAN ALLEVIATE
✗ People are disconnected from others = sense of isolation
✗ Constant sense of pushing rather than a synergistic flow
✗ Not intrinsically motivated, always needing external affirmation✗ Emergence of new ideas at a standstill
✗ Rumbles below the surface
✗ No significant conversations
✗ Lack of a sense of community or being a team
✗ Disconnected from inspiration and creativity
✗ No shared laughter but lots of feelings of entitlement
✗ Judgment and blame running rampant
✗ Hiding behind masks, façades and walls
✗ No sense of shared responsibility
✗ Overwhelmed by external demands
13-POINT SYSTEM TO CREATE A CULTURE OF CONNECTION
The pillars to create a renewed culture are:
- Connection to authentic self = connection to wisdom and future possibilities
- Trust we have the answers amongst us = developing deep listening
- Create safe space where people can be brave = tapping emerging ideas and concepts
- Celebrating a diversity of perspectives = creative steps forward
The practices to develop a renewed culture are:
- Develop a community agreement to create a safe environment where people can be brave and bold.
- Listen deeply and with curiosity to self and others.
- Allow wisdom to emerge from deep within.
- Use responsible “I” to share your story and perspective.
- Speak truth simply and responsibly to deal with issues.
- Choose an idea to develop (prototype ideas), then assess, clarify and either correct it or move to prototyping another idea to create an environment where it is safe to fail.
The productivity resulting from following the practices and developing the pillars are:
- Significant conversations where future possibilities emerge
- Community of connection and creativity
- Synergistic flow = meaningful and purposeful lives